This book is now one of my all time favourites and I will enjoy reading it over and over again for years to come. It had everything a great story should have; young love, spiritualism, creepy photographs and fascinating characters.
It also taught me a lot about the Spanish flu influenza pandemic of 1918 that possibly killed 100 million people worldwide. I didn’t know much about it as I presume it is largely overshadowed by World War 1 in history lessons but it was a fascinating insight as to what it must have been like living with such a deadly virus spreading amongst your family and neighbourhood. The flu came as quickly as it went and there are so many theories as to what caused it. Scary!
Favourite Quotes from In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters;
* ‘Footsteps woke me at sunrise.’
* ‘My aunt couldn’t afford electricity, so her face and flu mask glowed in the flickering light of a candle next to my bed.’
* ‘Lightening ignited the air, and I wanted its bolts to shock me out of my nightmare world and send me back into my old reality.’
* ‘That old bully Death breathed down my neck and nipped at my skin, warning, Don’t waste a spare second of time.‘
* ‘Don’t ever worry what the boys who don’t appreciate originality think of you. They’re fools.’