I have been teaching upper primary school students for 6 years. Nothing grabs their attention as quickly or holds it for as long as a good picture book.
It is a powerful teaching tool and is often forgotten when students get older. When we have our library lessons my student’s make me read until my voice hurts. Picture books allow visual learners a chance to understand the story, creates a platform for interesting discussions and models writing.
Recommended Picture Books:
* This is not my hat by Jon Klassen
* Dirty Beasts by Roald Dahl
* Lost and found by Oliver Jeffers
* John Brown, Rose and the midnight cat by Jenny Wagner
* The doorbell rang by Pat Hutchins
* Wacky Wednesday by Dr. Seuss
I read the above list to my classes each year and they get the best responses from my students.
Can any one add to my list?