Some tips for taking care of your books;
1) Ensure books are shelved properly in a vertical position; they should not be on their sides or stacked. If you store them in boxes they should also be vertical and not on top of each other (Mistake number 1 on my behalf)
2) When you dust your books, make sure to dust from the spine outward so that the dirt doesn’t settle in the pocket behind the spine. Dust each individually book and not just around them.
3) If the book has a jacket cover take it off while you are reading it and store in a safe place (At least this is one tip that I am following)
4) Repair torn pages as quickly as possible – how to repair torn pages shown here
5) Inform children how to take care of their books – as a school teacher I have had a lot of my books ruined by student’s because I didn’t spend time explaining how to look after books. A great book to help parents/teachers with this is Read it Don’t Eat it by Ian Schoenherr.
If any one has any more helpful tips they would be much appreciated!